"I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot become anything seriously, and it is only the fool who becomes anything....A man ought to be pre-eminently a characterless creature; a man of character, an active man, is pre-eminently a limited creature." -Notes from the Underground, F. Dostoevsky

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Mindless Word Clouds

It's been a while since I wrote here.  I'm still not in Utah, and I haven't attended LDS church for a few years, but I still can't shake myself of it.  At the conference that just concluded last week, I stood during the "solemn assembly" and raised my hand in opposition to the new First Presidency.  Sure, Russell called as apostles a man whose ancestors were from Asia, and another who was born in Brazil.  But he also booted from the First Presidency the man who dared say openly that church leaders can make mistakes and replaced him with a man whose self-satisfied pronouncements drip so sweetly from his lips that he can't seem to keep from smacking them as delighting to the taste of his own words.

Yeah, I voted against the First Presidency because I just can't stand Dallin Oaks.

But that's not why I'm posting after such a long absence.  I'm not sure, actually, why I'm posting today, but I did want to post the following word clouds, given that they've been so popular with the LDS crowd.  I made them by copying the following into a GNU-based word cloud generator and taking the top ten words from each:
  • The words spoken by Russell Nelson in the Saturday and Sunday sessions, respectively, of General Conference this Easter weekend;
  • The words spoken by Pope Francis at his Maundy Thursday and Easter Sunday homilies this year;
  • The words spoken by Jesus to his disciples before and after his resurrection, respectively, as recorded in the Gospel of John (chapters 13-16 and 20-21).

Here they are, in no particular order:








No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Search This Blog