"I am living out my life in my corner, taunting myself with the spiteful and useless consolation that an intelligent man cannot become anything seriously, and it is only the fool who becomes anything....A man ought to be pre-eminently a characterless creature; a man of character, an active man, is pre-eminently a limited creature." -Notes from the Underground, F. Dostoevsky

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Books for my children

The Underground, of course, isn't all gothic doom and glum. It's about yearning for innocence, beauty, shyness, love. While I may never have children, I do often think about what I would read to them if I did. Here's my list (in no order of preference):

The Chronicles of Narnia
Watership Down
The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet
The Wizard of Oz series
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and The Great Glass Elevator
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings
Oliver Twist
The Wrinkle in Time series
The Compleat Angler
Moby Dick
The Old Man and the Sea
Oblomov
Peer Gynt
Don Quixote
The Metamorphosis (Kafka)
The Castle
Les Miserables
The Double (Dostoevsky)
The Purloined Letter
The Gold Bug
Sketches from a Hunter's Album
A Raw Youth (Dostoevsky)
Robinson Crusoe
Candide
The Foundation Pit
Looking Backward (Bellamy)


Of course, the children will choose which books we read and in what order.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Search This Blog